SPC ECO — Dark Matter (November 20, 2015)• British shoegaze–pop band founded by former Curve guitarist Dean Garcia and his daughter, Rose Berlin.Formed 2007 in London, England
Location: Kentish Town, London, England, UK
Genre: Pop/Rock, Electronic
Styles: Trip–Hop, Alternative/Indie Rock, Dream Pop, Indie Electronic
Album release: November 20, 2015
All songs recorded: at ELaB Studios London UK
Record Label: Saint Marie
01 Creep in the Shadows 4:30
02 Different Kind 5:07
03 Let It Be Always 3:24
04 Playing Games 4:56
05 I Won’t Be Heard 4:36
06 Meteor 4:21
07 Down Low 4:53
08 Breathe 4:23
09 The Whole World Shines 6:50
10 Under My Skin 4:05
♣ All tracks written by Rose Berlin / Dean GarciaCredits:
• Rose Berlin Composer, Design, Sleeve Photo, Vocals
• Dean Garcia Bass, Composer, Drums, Engineer, Guitar, Keyboards, Mixing, Producer, Programming
• Produced Recorded and Mixed by Dean Garcia at the ELaB UK
• Rose Berlin — Voice and Words
• Dean Garcia — Music — Bass Drums Guitars Keys and Programming
Special thanks to:
♣ 40A and Timmydarkside at Looperman for their inspired samples and loops. Jarek Leskiewicz for bleeping drone guitars, WomBBaby HKG JRH Chris Rigg Wyatt Parkins Laura n Fats for all and everything. All those that have bought this record and have supported us through the years.
• Sleeve Image and design by — Rose Berlin
• All copyrights reserved SPC ECO — B O F C MUSIC INC
• All songs registered with PPL UK
• Rip if you must but buy if you can
• Dedicated to Dark Matter
AllMusic Review by Paul Simpson; Score: ***½
• Dark Matter is the sixth full–length album by SPC ECO, a project centered around former Curve guitarist Dean Garcia and his daughter Rose Berlin, with contributions from numerous guest musicians. While the group started out making noisy yet poppy electronic–tinged shoegaze in the vein of Garcia’s former band, it abandoned guitars for its 2014 album, The Art of Pop, embracing more of an icy synth pop sound. Dark Matter finds the group morphing further into dark, moody trip–hop, with thick, slithering beats and heavy, echo–covered bass enveloping Berlin’s occasionally Auto–Tuned vocals. Her voice inevitably brings to mind Curve’s Toni Halliday, but there’s a fair bit of ‘90s–era Elizabeth Fraser in her as well, and plenty of this album (particularly the swirling, intoxicating standout “Let It Be Always”) suggests what might have happened if the former Cocteau Twins chanteuse had started a side project with members of Massive Attack following the success of their 1998 classic Mezzanine. Berlin’s lyrics live up to the album’s title, with subject matter typically concerning loneliness, regret, paranoia, and heartbreak. Tense, creeping ballads such as “Meteor” and “Under My Skin” (which ends with the line “all I fear is dying alone”) find Berlin at her most aching and vulnerable, while the trap–influenced beats of “Down Low” prove that trip–hop can successfully be updated for the post–Purity Ring era of downtempo electronic pop music. • http://www.allmusic.com/
Website: http://spceco.com/ / Rose Berlin:http://roseberlin.com/about/
Discography (excerpt): (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPC_ECO)
• 2009 3–D Noiseplus Music
• 2014 Sirens and Satellites Saint Marie
• 2014 The Art of Pop Saint Marie
• 2015 Dark Matter Saint Marie
• Vinyl limited to 250 high quality classic black vinyl and jacket/sleeve with download card.
• As in an absence of light, an unseen weight that smothers us all. Dark Matter, the new album from SPC ECO (pronounced Space Echo, a name that’s part riddle & part publicly traded stock and what could be more appropriate to the times than that?) is a bold new direction for the band, a series of torch songs for people with ice in their hearts, bleak and sparse like the seconds before you jump.
• The brainchild of Dean Garcia (formerly of Curve), this may be the most brilliant thing yet from a man who’s spent a lifetime sculpting sound. Every bass note is like a bomb going off in your chest. SPC ECO knows: when life hands you lemons, make hand grenades.
• Singer Rose Berlin croons & aches, endless laments dreaming to be heard. This is a singer who knows that the battle against gravity is the one you’ll never win. ‘Creep In The Shadows’ is the sound of someone with their face pressed against the glass as they hurtle through space running out of air — the end of the world as seen from a distance.
• With its liquid rhythms, ‘Down Low’ could fit seamlessly onto a contemporary hip–hop station. Listen on headphones or your ears will never forgive you. And then there’s ‘Under My Skin’. Simultaneously elegiac and valedictory, a song to be played at weddings & funerals, graduations & suicides — as if there’s a difference.
• It’s yet another stunning release from Saint Marie Records. It’s Dark Matter. It’s all around us and waiting to be seen.
ALBUM COVERS VI.
Průmyslová 11, 102 19 Praha 10, Czech Republic